Feb 23 2011

Creating a Disciplined Classroom, Part II–Life Skills For Every Student and Teacher

This is the second post in a series…read THIS post if you’d like to start at the beginning=)

The first post was about student behavior in a classroom; this post is arguably more important…the teacher’s behavior in a classroom.

My first year of teaching was pretty rough because the only form of discipline my building implemented was sending a misbehaving student to the office. What’s worse is that this school also practiced corporal punishment so I was often hesitant to send a student to the office for fear of a paddling; we had no voice once the student went to the office. That left me with an unsettling feeling; things could, and did go badly…quickly!

My first year taught me much, and I’m ashamed to say that I may have been the culprit in my undisciplined classroom more than once; I was the adult who propelled a misbehaving student on a few occasions. A few of my actions are listed below:

1. I engaged students in an argument when I should have placed them in a safe area until they were able to talk to me about their problem
  2. I nit-picked and nagged about everything from a missing pencil to an assignment–this incited students to talk back
  3. I got angry when a student got angry
  4. I dolled out punishments that may have not fit the “crime”
  5. I didn’t always act like the adult–I let my irritation show through and that incited bad student behavior

It took an entire year, but I learned that I wasn’t being fair to my kiddos..Even though I didn’t make them misbehave, I didn’t have have the tools I needed to teach them how to behave. I now teach BIST’s example for life skills and try to remain slightly passive,completely neutral, and always in control. I do not intimidate my students (note my 5’4 stature to the right=-), and I do not threaten; I do not raise my voice, and I do not pick. The biggest lesson I have taken away from teaching the following life skills is that I too must follow them. Here they are:

1. I can manage an overwhelming feeling–One can feel some discomfort, even annoyance, but can still act appropriately
  2. I can be okay when others around me are not–One can act appropriately even if those surrounding him are not
  3. I can do something even when I don’t want to–One has to follow certain rules in certain situations

***P.S. The three life-skills are on a poster in front of my safe seat, and on a poster in front of my room***

Hopefully this second post will add a little more depth to the first. Classroom management is the most important part of teaching in my eyes–no learning can happen in an undisciplined or chaotic classroom.

Happy Teaching!

No responses yet

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. A Disciplined Classroom–Teaching Students to Take Responsibility by Writing a Formal Apology | Writing is Immortality
  2. Think Sheet/Reflection Sheet Form–Effective Classroom Management | Writing is Immortality
  3. The Top 3 Ways to Create a Disciplined Classroom–Part I | Writing is Immortality

Trackback URI | Comments RSS